Tuesday, May 12, 2009

First Days in Kenya

I arrived in Nairobi on Sunday and spent my first two days recovering from jet lag and running errands. My most exciting purchase: a big fabric tent (complete with retractable net screens on the sides) that will be our "office" on the WISER site. Putting it together will be an interesting team building exercise (there are LOTS of pieces!).

I traveled to Nakuru today to Egerton University to meet five students who will be research assistants for my project. Our first afternoon of training went well, and I am excited to be building a research team. Nakuru is also a beautiful city with a large lake filled with flamingos - yes, flamingos. I was surprised to look out of the car window to see the water covered with thousands of bright pink birds. Quite a sight!

I will be in Nakuru until the weekend to continue training and to work with the students to finish translating our measures from English into Dholuo, the local language in Muhuru Bay. I will then be headed to Muhuru on Sunday. More soon - I'm off to dinner!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Eve, Glad you arrived safe and sound. Thanks for sending the update. I'll most definitely be checking and wish you all the best getting the last of the surveys translated. Take Care, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you arrived safely, Eve! Would love to see photos of the flamingos you mentioned. I have a mental picture of blue water speckled with beautiful pink polka dots. Looking forward to keeping up with your journey! A link will be posted from DGHI's site soon. All the best, -Geelea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eve: What a great idea for putting up that tent...a 'team building exercise.' I bet it will be effective. Thanks for using the blog as an update tool.

    dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's the typical Kenyan meal like? I'm kind of a food nut so it would be cool if you could describe it for us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you are blogging! I can't wait to see pictures. Please post many. Good luck with the tent, and the training.

    I found this article about the flamingos in Lake Nakuru disappearing. I wonder if they are better off now?
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/11/1107_021108_TVflamingo.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Eve,

    Guy and I are so happy you arrived safely. We are happy you are sending updates and we will be checking often.

    Take Care...the Green's

    ReplyDelete