Monday, August 30, 2010

"A Brand New Kenya"

“It is time for a new brand of a brand new Kenya,” said Caroline Nderitu
in her poem at the promulgation ceremony for the new Kenyan Constitution. Even I could feel the excitement as I watched through my apartment television a few miles from Uhuru Park. I was amazed by the enormous crowd as the camera showed sections of people breaking into excited dancing and others climbing trees to catch a glimpse of the excitement.

All weekend since the ceremony, I’ve been asking cab drivers and Kenyan co-workers how they feel about the new Constitution…

“We are so happy – you will now find us all smiling here in Kenya.”
“Now we are really happy – there are so many good changes. Now even a normal Kenyan can finally get something.”
“Now we can go and see our Ministers, tell them what we want.”

In each response – hope, optimism, empowerment.

I rarely see direct, concrete examples of how structural-level change at the policy level can truly affect individuals’ mental health and well-being. But I think that this Constitution has the potential to do that in a very tangible way. People are waiting and hoping for increased support from their leaders – and this hope is already translating into improved moods and renewed motivation to reach goals in individuals and families.

I am traveling to Muhuru Bay again this week and I will be excited to hear what they have to say.

1 comment:

  1. Hope is a powerful tool and I think one of the things we are again missing here in the good ole USA. So many people want to destroy hope because that is how they hold onto their piece of the pie. They think the pie is only so big. I think what can help at what you call the policy level is leadership that shows the when many benefit the pie expands, it doesn't shink. Glad to see your blog again.

    ReplyDelete